The palace-and-park ensemble of Peterhof is a historical and architectural monument of 18-19 centuries. A summer residence of Peter the Great, Peterhof Complex with its palaces, parks and fountains, meant to be a symbol of victory of the Russians over the Swedes, is perhaps the most famous suburb of Saint-Petersburg. The construction works started in 1714 and in 1723 the complex was solemnly opened.The appearance and the inner decoration of the palaces (Grand Palace, Monplaisir, Marly, Hermitage) underwent several changes according to the fashion and to the tastes of the ruling Emperors and Empresses but the layout of the Lower Park remained mostly as it was intended by Peter the Great.
Hundreds of fountains, ornamental patterns of parterres, golden statues in the Lower Park and the Upper Garden are real masterpieces that impress everybody who comes there. Besides the Grand Palace with its 300-meter suite of rooms created by the master of Baroque style F.B .Rastrelli, there are 20 museums with permanent and temporary exhibitions in Peterhof Complex (Special Treasury, Catherine’s Block, Cottage, Bath Block, etc).